- For the Viennese apple pie first mix the flour with the baking powder on a work surface.
- Form a hollow in the middle, add cold, finely chopped butter, egg and sugar, knead all ingredients to form a smooth dough and let it rest in the refrigerator for half an hour.
- In the meantime, peel the apples, remove the core and cut the apples into pieces.
- Preheat the oven to 175 degrees Celsius (convection).
- In the meantime, mix the sweet cream, sugar and vanilla sugar together and then bring to the boil in a saucepan.
- Mix the vanilla pudding powder in a cup with a little water.
- As soon as the cream and sugar mixture starts to boil, stir in the pudding powder, cook for 2 minutes while stirring constantly and then remove from the hob.
- Take the shortcrust pastry out of the refrigerator, roll it out on a floured work surface and place the pastry in a greased springform pan or tart pan (approx. 24 cm diameter), pulling up the edges a little.
- Pre-bake the cake base for a good 10 minutes in the oven on the lower rail.
- Then take the cake out of the oven again and spread the apple pieces and then the pudding on the shortcrust pastry.
- Finally, bake the cake for another 50-55 minutes.
Tips to the recipe
The cake should cool down before it is removed from the springform pan and sliced.
For garnishing it can be dusted with powdered sugar.
The apple varieties Braeburn or Boskop are particularly suitable for this cake.