Pineapple Chicken and Rice Dinner Recipe
Dinner is almost ready! Having a chicken dinner recipe on hand is always a good idea. Especially if it’s a straightforward recipe that uses common components. This chicken meal is usually served with rice, and that’s all there is to it! There is no requirement for any more parties. Steamed broccoli or a veggie medley are the only sides I provide.
Cornstarch is used to thicken the sauce
In the recipe, it instructs you to mix together the cornstarch and some pineapple juice and set aside. While it is set aside it will start to thicken. Before you pour it in the pan give it another stir to loosen it up.
When it comes to rice I use jasmine rice. I just like it better. When I cook my rice I add 1 tablespoon of butter to the pot. I just throw it in the water. I think it makes the rice better. Make rice perfect every time with an Instant Pot. I love my Instant Pot and use it at least twice a week.
Make a bed of rice and lay the chicken on top. Spoon extra sauce over the chicken. Top with a pineapple slice or two.
For reference, the images are of how I present this recipe.
A sharp knife makes all the difference. Get yourself a knife sharpener if you don’t already have one!
Sharp Knife = Nice Clean Slices of chicken.
(Nothing is cooked in the casserole dish. It is just for presentation on the table)
How to serve to kids
For the kiddos, I cut up the child-size portion of chicken and a slice of pineapple into bite-size pieces. In a bowl, I add rice, chicken, pineapple, and sauce and stir it all up. The kids really love the sweet flavor.
Make it into a Pineapple Chicken Rice Bowl
- Just like the bowl I make for the kids.
- Add rice to a bowl.
- Chop chicken and pineapple into bite-size pieces.
- Top the rice with chicken and pineapple and sauce.
You can buy Pineapple Chunks instead of slices.
Perfect for Meal Planning
If you do weekly meal planning add this pineapple chicken recipe into your meal rotation.
- Swap out chicken breasts for chicken thighs. The cook time will be shorter for chicken thighs. Always temp your chicken to make sure it is cooked through.
- Swap out pineapple slices for pineapple chunks.
Recipe for Pineapple Chicken and Rice
- 1 and a half pounds boneless chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 can 20 oz. sliced pineapple, save the juice for the sauce
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 servings of cooked rice.
- Season chicken with thyme, salt, and pepper.
- Over medium heat brown the chicken in the vegetable oil.
- Drain pineapple slices and reserve the juice.
- Combine cornstarch and 2 oz. of the pineapple juice and set aside.
- In a separate bowl combine remaining juice with mustard, honey, and garlic.
- Add dijon mixture to the pan, reduce heat and cover.
- Allow to simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove chicken from the pan.
- Stir the cornstarch mixture and add to the pan and bring to a boil.
- Stir for 2 minutes.
- Reduce heat and return chicken to the pan. Flip chicken in the pan to get it nice and coated with the sauce.
- Add pineapple slices to the pan (on top of the chicken and around the chicken) cover for 2-3 minutes to allow pineapple to heat through.
- Serve over rice.
Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving:
Calories: 436Total Fat: 5gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCarbohydrates: 62gSugar: 31gProtein: 32g